Skip to main content

Deadly clashes in CAR as France ends military mission


France has formally announced an end to its military mission in the Central African Republic amid flared tensions in the country affected by ethnic violence.
French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian announced the end of the "Sangaris Operation" in a speech to the parliament in Bangui on Monday.
Le Drian noted, however, that Paris will still retain its military sway over its former colony. 
"This does not mean the end of military relations between France and the Central African Republic," he said.
"The French army will indeed be less visible but it will be present, active and vigilant. We're proud of Operation Sangaris, so it's out of the question to allow the gains to be put at risk," Le Drian said.
He said the French government will keep a "tactical reserve force of 350 soldiers" in the country.
Many residents have voiced concern to see the French troops exit.
Earlier this month Le Drian told the French parliament that the Sangaris mission had been "a success."
"We stopped the mass killings... allowed a process of inter-communal reconciliation, the reconstitution of the state, a presidential election, and legislative elections," he said.
Prominent CAR politician and former presidential candidate Anicet Georges Dologuele challenged Le Drian's comments, stating that "Sangaris is pulling out far too early."
"Our security forces are not ready to take up the baton," Dologuele said.
"The UN forces are more and more overwhelmed in their firefighting role," warned Dologuele.
"It's always too early," Le Drian quipped, adding,"These responsibilities are above all your own."
Meanwhile, CAR's capital was rocked by deadly overnight clashes, leaving 10 people dead in the restive Muslim PK5 neighborhood of Bangui.
The toll had yet to be confirmed by the United Nations force MINUSCA, which will now be alone in facing the militias terrorizing civilians.
CAR residents are continuously fleeing the country caught in ethnic conflict between Seleka rebels and anti-Balaka militia groups.
CAR has not yet emerged from the disorder caused by civil war which erupted in 2013 following the overthrow of Francois Bozize, a Christian, by Muslim rebels from the Seleka coalition who installed their own leader.
The conflict in CAR since 2013 has left thousands of people dead and forced many to flee their homes.
Rights groups have in a few occasions reported that Muslims in the war-torn country “are being butchered” at the hands of the Christians.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

General Qasem Soleymani's letter to the Secretary of Defense of the United States of America

In the name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate Obama has sent a rude and threatening Letter to Imam Khamenei (d.z) , Iran's Supreme Leader. Few days later Imam Khamenei (d.z) proclaimed that he replied to Obama's threatening letter. People were eager to know about the answer but no one was aware of the letter's content. Cmdr. Qasem Soleimani sent a letter to the Secretary of Defense of the United States of America, a letter that may help us to find out about the content of the Supreme Leader's letter. The so-called letter made Americans furiously angry so that the United State Congress issued Cmdr's assassination. To find out how important was this action, it would be interesting to describe the procedure through which the letter was received by The Secretary of Defense United States Department Of War includes seven protective filters four of which are specifically designed to monitor data sent to secretary of defense. . Sending a letter ...

38 dead, 92,000 left homeless by Niger floods

Recent heavy floods in Niger have killed more than three dozen people and left tens of thousands of others homeless, a United Nations (UN) report says. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a report on Wednesday that, since June, at least 38 people had lost their lives and more than 92,000 had been made homeless as a result of torrential rains and heavy downpours in the West African country. The Nigerien government had put the number of fatalities at 14 before new flooding in August. The OCHA, citing government figures, also noted that more than 9,000 homes had been destroyed and more than 26,000 heads of livestock lost. Over 50,000 people had received aid from NGOs and many of the homeless had been sheltering in schools and public buildings, it added. The Nigerien National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) issued a warning last month, advising residents along the Niger River to evacuate immediately to safer ground over the likelihood of...

Slovenia reopens embassy in Iran’s capital after nearly four years

The Slovenian government has reopened its embassy in the Iranian capital after nearly four years of closure. Slovenian President Borut Pahor, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his Slovenian counterpart Karl Erjavec attended a ceremony for the reopening of the embassy in Tehran on Wednesday. Speaking during the ceremony, Zarif said the reopening of the Slovenian embassy would set a good trend towards the promotion of relations between the two countries. “There are good and suitable grounds for bilateral cooperation, which… we can advance [to a level] beneficial to the regional nations,” Zarif said. Pahor, for his part, said the reopening of his country’s embassy in Tehran bears testimony to good cooperation between the two countries. “We want to create common interests among our nations, and we believe that today is a very significant and promising moment for both countries and highly important for the development of Slovenia's diplomatic a...